ASTI Deputy Chief Systems Engineer
Harris Corporation is seeking a Deputy Chief Systems Engineer in leading systems engineering activities across Alaskan Satellite Telecommunications Infrastructure (ASTI).
As the prime contractor for the Alaskan Satellite Telecommunications Infrastructure (ASTI) program, Harris will replace and upgrade the existing satellite communications network that links the Alaskan Air Route Traffic Control Center in Anchorage with 64 FAA facilities throughout the region, including 59 remote sites, three flight service stations (FSSs), and a test and training facility (TTF).
The ASTI program will provide increased network performance and availability while reducing the FAA’s cost of operating and maintaining the current Alaskan National Airspace System Interfacility Communication System (ANICS). This infrastructure provides Alaska with 90 percent of its inter-facility communications for critical, essential and routine air traffic control services supporting commercial aviation.
Under the ASTI program, Harris will replace and upgrade ANICS system components that have become obsolete or have been affected by the harsh Alaskan weather, as well as provide a new network management system, system security enhancements, logistics support and training.
The position requires an ability to review customer-provided requirements and documents, communicate and lead the implementation of these requirements across a cross-functional team of software, RF, network, provisioning, and deployment engineers and technicians. Additionally, the role will be responsible for end-of-life analysis and planning for a range of hardware and software products. This includes working directly with the customer to obtain their buy-in for EOL solutions. The Deputy CSE will be part of a larger team and will be asked to collaborate with other engineers in a fast paced operational environment.
Some Travel will be required to facilitate communications and collaborate with the team and customer located in Anchorage, AK.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or Information Systems
- 10+ years of engineering experience
- 3+ years of experience with complete System Engineering Lifecycle including proposal development, preparation of technical papers, requirements analysis and large scale systems development.
- 3+ years of experience interpreting, negotiating, documenting, communicating and implementing requirements across a diverse team.
- Develop, implement, and manage systems and network engineering processes including configuration management and design standards to ensure compliance, relevancy, and sustainability.
- Ability to work the software team to plan next round of updates to support various recently awarded task orders
- Assist with development of network monitoring and performance metrics and coverage acceptance criteria
- Conduct design, test readiness and operational readiness reviews of network architecture designs, studies, and plans.
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Experience in the architecture/design, development, implementation, and monitoring of network architectures
- RF and/or communications background
- Previous experience working EOL issues on a government program
- Must have exceptional verbal, written (including assistance in the development of contract deliverables, proposal responses, and customer responses), interpersonal, and presentation skills and a strong ability to lead and mentor teammates
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills and the ability to socialize ideas, make recommendations and gather team consensus to move forward.
- Excellent presentation skills and ability to develop effective working relationships with business development, program management personnel, engineering, and external customers.
- Self-driven and resourceful to achieve goals independently as well as work well in groups.
- Flexibility to adjust to changing requirements, schedules and priorities
Harris is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We consider applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local law.
By submitting your résumé for this position, you understand and agree that Harris Corporation may share your résumé, as well as any other related personal information or documentation you provide, with its subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purpose of considering you for other available positions.
Please be aware that many of our positions require a security clearance, or the ability to obtain one. Security clearances may only be granted to U.S. citizens. In addition, applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment may be subject to government security investigation(s) and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.