Quality Assurance Engineer II
Summary of Position: The successful Quality Assurance Engineer II (QAE II) will provide quality assurance input and oversight to both new product development and sustaining production. This role requires a mix of working with 1) compliance to current procedures; 2) data analysis of current processes; 3) critical thinking/writing skills for development and documenting improved processes and 4) auditing to the requirements of the company Quality Manual and customer requirements to ensure full and cost effective compliance. The QAE II reports directly to the Quality Assurance Manager and also will be assigned to individual program teams where specific tasks will be assigned. The QAE II will need to be able to self-assess workload and work independently with responsibilities involving higher level decision making, but will refer to the Quality Assurance Manager if conflicting requirements need to be prioritized
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions, where applicable:
Overall expectations for the position:
- Represent Quality Assurance during new product development, including planning and design reviews to ensure the intended process will yield hardware compliant to all applicable requirements; including all inputs (raw material requirements, tooling requirements, etc.) and outputs (raw data and statistical analysis of data).
- Lead the creation and approval of a program Quality Program Plan that extracts customer (e.g. the voice of the customer) and company requirements and defines a cost effective plan to ensure compliance; including all relevant data collection and analysis schemes to track and respond to any unacceptable product, tooling or process capability metrics.
- Oversee the proper use of quality measurement tools and systems to ensure full drawing and specification compliance.
- Assist in selecting and acquiring equipment/tooling as required.
- Perform internal audits as a lead auditor as assigned. These descriptions are job overviews and are not intended to include all tasks or responsibilities. Additional tasks or responsibilities may be assigned at the discretion of Management. The company reserves the right to modify these descriptions as it deems appropriate. Matrix Composites Proprietary Information Form QS-007-3 rev B Page 2 of 3
- Evaluate and recommend QA sampling plans for vendors and internal programs based on desired confidence limits, process capabilities, and manufacturing/inspection methods and equipment.
- Provide technical guidance and training to other team members in statistical analysis techniques, data analysis, sampling techniques and other traditional QA Engineering areas of expertise.
- Actively participate in the company’s Lean Enterprise program.
- Other duties as assigned by management.
Specific responsibilities for maximum results and to avoid typical obstacles:
- Establish and flow down key performance indicators (KPIs) to each program team and identify both the method and frequency of data collection and reporting to program teams and to management.
- Where prudent (related to quality), lead FMEA, RCCA, Kaizen events, etc. related to continual improvement.
Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and Success Metrics:
- OTD – Ensure Quality Department support to all programs to meet overall and continuous KPI of ≥ 98% on time delivery.
- Process Capability – All processes, tooling should have active and continual
- improvement programs targeted at Ppk or Cpk ≥ 1.33.
- COQ – The total cost of scrap and rework on each assigned program should be tracked and actively managed to drive to a goal of $0 Cost of Poor Quality.
- Escapes – Ensure adequate and prudent measures are defined and maintained such that the goal of zero escapes is realized
Qualifications: The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions, where applicable:
- BS degree in scientific or quality discipline.
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in a manufacturing environment with a high-degree of hands-on experience using inspection tools and equipment.
- ASQ certifications received or in process of being received.
- Proficient in use of general shop tools, inspection tools, and test equipment; sound mathematical and technical skills.
- Must possess a demonstrated application as well as a high degree of fluency and understanding in the use of geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T).
- Ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing; good interpersonal skills and organizational skills; ability to be highly organized, detail oriented and able to respond to change quickly. Strong presentation skills. These descriptions are job overviews and are not intended to include all tasks or responsibilities. Additional tasks or responsibilities may be assigned at the discretion of Management. The company reserves the right to modify these descriptions as it deems appropriate. Matrix Composites Proprietary Information Form QS-007-3 rev B Page 3 of 3
- Strong computer skills including the use of MS Office products such as Excel, MS Word, PowerPoint, and associated statistics applications.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Quality Management System tools and continuous improvement methodologies. ISO/AS9100 system knowledge and application/auditing experience.
- A strong understanding of the audit process including types of audits, planning, preparation, execution, reporting results, and follow-up.
- A thorough understanding of problem-solving and quality improvement tools and techniques (8D, 5-Why, etc.). This includes knowledge of management and planning tools, quality tools, preventive and corrective actions, and how to overcome barriers to quality improvements.
- Ability to multi-task and handle tasks with competing priorities effectively.
- MUST be a United States Citizen or a U.S. Person .
- Be fluent in English (written and spoken).
Physical demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the associate is frequently required to stand, walk and sit. Use hands, fingers, to handle or feel; reach with hand and arms; talk and hear. The associate must occasionally lift/and move up to 10 pounds.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: Proof of United States Citizenship or Right-to-Work in United States